Knights of Saint George
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Ascalon???
new ideas for the game? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm by Korte2

» 8th anniversary
new ideas for the game? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 2:41 pm by Crimsonator

» Crew portrait
new ideas for the game? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 am by Korte2

» Fame record
new ideas for the game? EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 am by Pishkirlin

» Almost famous.
new ideas for the game? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 pm by Pishkirlin

» Pish is back (for a while)
new ideas for the game? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm by Crimsonator

Crew page
Link to the crew page on Yoweb.

new ideas for the game?

+2
Azeitona
Zaidwanted
6 posters

Go down

new ideas for the game? Empty new ideas for the game?

Post  Zaidwanted Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:21 am

hello there! i know i have not been playing very much last times, but i am a very busy man at the moment. and i can't stop playing system shock, before i ASSASINATE that edward diego that betrayed me, and if i have BLOWN UP that freaking b*tch of a S.H.O.D.A.N (in the game, then)!
but some good news for you guys: i heard that the 2nd anniversary of the glimmer of light is soon, and at the same day as my birthday (26th of march)! i will get online, no matter what it costs!
but another problem is, is that i may not go on the PC at home until summer '=_=. pleasy, dont ask me why.
but no worries, 26th of march is at friday, so i gan go online at at school, but i am afraid i wont be able to be online for a ''long'' time.

but now, let's go back to the reason i actually REALLY made this topic for.
you all should be well known with swordfight? the puzzle itself already is quite great, but maybe i know a way to ''increase the tension'' a bit. i thought that should be a bit more at this puzzle.

but why i have not e-mailed the puzzle pirates team, instead of making this topic? this is, because, if i send feedback to the team, i always get a response like this: thank you for posting this e-mail. we always strive to perfection to the game in the future, and more stuff like this. they never say something back about my ideas for the game, and that kinda gives me a feeling that it doesn't interest them at all (pish, maybe you could help me making my idea become reality, if you want to. dont worry, i wont sell you any money to make this happen, it's all your choice Wink ). now YOU guys can tell ME what YOU think of my idea.
like one time i sent them a e-mail with some ideas for the game. i'll tell you my ideas for the game what i have said to them here:
1. i like most things of the game, but what i would like more, is a bit more background music (the sound you'll hear when want to login, just really really sucks, im thankful there is a button to turn it off (but i haven't said THAT to them)).
2. maybe make a ship that also could shoot to the front! but then only the first turn (of the 4.)
3. maybe make a adrenaline bar? i'll tell what this actually is.
it sort of looks like a old thermometer, what thay used in the 90's.
if you get hit often, or crash on stones of something, or it's just the tension or something like that, the line raises. if the line reaches a (very) high level, unluck happens. the water raises more quickly, or the ship is harder to repair, and such. this could make fighting the enemy a lot more exiting, and really gives you more the feeling that you are in a (dangerous) battle! if you nav more well, or have more ppl in your ship etc., the line lowers.
you could use this to your advantage, or you will get in even more trouble, IF you get in trouble.

what do you think?

but now let's return to my swordfight idea. we'll start at the very beginning.

you start/join a pillage with a quite large ship. you have gathered enough manpower, and go to sail. an enemy vessel gets nearer and nearer, and you get in a sea battle! you enter the enemy's vessel, you get in a sword fight. at the very start of the SF, the computer will decide who you team against (like always). but now, at the left and right side bar, you only see the people that team against the person who YOU are fighting, AND the people that team against YOU. if you get defeated, the game is over for you, and you will return to the screen where you can see everyone, and a filled board (i mean with this, is you defeated, and the screen you normally see without this ''update'').
if you won, you can choose who you will fight now. but other people off course also can team gainst you.
it's just a matter who clicks first.
i still have a doubt about that you will start with an empty board, or continue with the board you had when you defeated your enemy. but you have to decide quickly! you only have 15 secs to choose (shall i make that more or less?)! otherwise the computer will decide who you will fight! at last, the battle ends, and everything is how it should be.

i will give you a easier to understand post of this idea later the day, or in a few days.

what do you think? tell me!

but it's enough for now. if YOU have an idea for the game, don't bbe afraid to post it here! who knows... Very Happy

Zaidwanted

Crew: : Glimmer of light

Back to top Go down

new ideas for the game? Empty Re: new ideas for the game?

Post  Azeitona Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:31 am

i am afraid that i didnt really understand... lol

Azeitona

Crew: : Knights of Saint George

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 am

You have to realise the developers of the game get ALOT of ideas and emails through, so can't always reply to every single thing they recieve.

The best way to get your ideas noticed is to post on the Game Design forums on the main YPP website, don't expect a small idea of "more background music" to get noticed though. You need to explain your ideas more; why you think it would benefit the game, you'd need to drum up support from other players and accept both praise and criticism for your ideas, understand how the OOO's staff could adapt it to the game environment etc etc.

Try searching firstly too through the "The List" and "The Anti-list" on the YPPedia to see if your ideas have been put onto either.. forward shooting ships sounds like something I've heard before. (For the record, no I would not want that..) (The list - is a list (obviously) of things OOO's staff have said they want in the game at some stage, the Anti-list is also a list (well duh) of things they have said will never appear in the game.)

Like Aze said, I'm really not too sure I understand your swordfighting idea either. I can already clearly see who I am teaming on in a team sf and who is teaming on me with the colours of the swords.

The adrenaline bar.. If I am a bad bnaver, recieve a lot of damage from rocks and shots from the enemy then quite possibly my crew could leave the ship, meaning I'd get unlucky from some tension bar too? My bilge and carp would go up more and I'd end up with a heavily damaged ship, sounds like my pillage would be over to me. Again.. not an idea I like or support, what are the benefits for people? What would happen like in my example where my ship is completely DITW on the nav board and everyone has left?

Note - If it seems I'm playing devil's advocate here.. it's possibly because I am.
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Crew: : Knights Of Saint George

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 am

i think then they at least could've said it then. but that wasn't my only mail i've sent.
about the adrenaline bar? just make it that hard to raise, and not just after a few hits or chrashes. i think of at least 5-6 at a sloop.
but my biggest problem is that i am short of time.

ill respond later again. bye!

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Pishkirlin Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:57 am

Like Ruby pointed out, if you have a suggestion for the game, you should post it in the Game Design forum. Follow the advices Ruby gave and another one from me: it is better to suggest things that fix current flaws than coming up with brand new propositions that are unfeasible.
Now about what your suggestions here:
1. Yes, background music would be definitely nice.
2. No, it wouldn't be realistic. Sailing ships only have cannons on their sides.
3. No, it won't add anything new to the game that could justify the time the developers would have to spend in order to implement such a thing.
4. (swordfighting) This is very interesting, but it could overload the server. I think you can suggest this on Game Design and see what the other players think about it.
Pishkirlin
Pishkirlin

Crew: : Knights of Saint George

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:49 am

Pishkirlin wrote: 4. (swordfighting) This is very interesting, but it could overload the server. I think you can suggest this on Game Design and see what the other players think about it.

do you really think that this could cause an overload? however, this does cost some memory. but doesn't it actually SAVE memory if you dont see everyone in the battle all the time, but only a few?

but i actually wanted to post this here, because i wanted to know what YOU guys thought about this.
but it only were suggestions... i didn't expect my ideas would be stunning good or something like that.

P.S. here is the newer and easier to understand ''explainment''!

new ideas for the game? ?action=view&current=YPPswordfight1

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesStGeorge Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re 1, Rubbish idea! I turn any music of anyway. Life does not have background music. Sound effects are good but not music.

Re 2, not really right.

One unique naval gun was the long nine. It was a proportionately longer-barrelled 9-pounder. Its typical mounting as a bow or stern chaser
Naval_artillery_in_the_Age_of_Sail

That said It is not a good idea for the game, effectively making you able to shoot all ways.

Re 4, Sword fighting is fine, do not mess with what works. Basic teaming is beyond many.
JamesStGeorge
JamesStGeorge

Crew: : Knights of St George

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:43 am

chillax, mate! i think i know it now.
what kinda bothers me, is if i come with an idea for something (not only at YPP, at many more things), people always think it is not an good idea, or they always come with an better suggestion. i always feel kinda emberassed then, and it makes me feel useless... Sad
and my picture even aint working! but i can't reach the file now, so that will have to wait. dammit...

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 am

I'll quote myself.

you'd need to drum up support from other players and accept both praise and criticism for your ideas,

As much as you might think your ideas are good(in general, not just those listed here), getting support and making others believe it is a good idea especially in the gaming environment is where you seem to be failing.

Just because YOU think something would be cool and fun in the game, it doesn't mean we should put it into the game. I think you need to rethink your approach to offering such ideas. As I said above, you need more indepth analysis as to how your ideas would affect the game. I agree with Pish too, in that it's better to improve an aspect of the game already in play than to pluck a new idea out of thin air.

I'm sure Thomas Edison and many other inventors all had similar reactions to the ones your getting, where people didn't like the ideas (or perhaps they just don't understand what they could do for them.)

Learn to take criticism and act on it !!!!

Ruby - playing the devil's advocate again, but truely only trying to help Smile
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Piratus Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 am

I don't see how his 3 point is improbable. There where galleys before the big sailing ships that mounted their cannons on the front.

It's not realistic to have it on a regular sailing ship, but then again, viking longships with cannons on them are not realistic either.
Piratus
Piratus

Crew: : Glimmer of Light

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:54 am

heheheh... why you just didn't throw knives at them? hit them and OUCH!!! >XD

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 am

Piratus wrote:I don't see how his 3 point is improbable. There where galleys before the big sailing ships that mounted their cannons on the front.

It's not realistic to have it on a regular sailing ship, but then again, viking longships with cannons on them are not realistic either.

Okay.. but now imagine, a ship battle. You can shoot from 3 out of the 4 possible sides, that would change the battle so much. To manouvere the ship to be facing in the correct direction to shoot the enemy takes some skill and knowledge of AI ship movements. Cannons that can shoot from the front too, would just make it way too easy to hit the enemy and for them to hit you.

Let's look at the wider aspects, OOO's would have to change the AI of there ships, if you mean that EVERY ship should have forward shooting, then we'd need new graphics and designs for every ship, this would surely mess with paintwork jobs people have on them + the new figureheads. Ships currently have a set amount of cannons and people allowed to fill them to get max cannons loaded, do you propose adding more cannons or just making the forward shoot into the others? I see problems there too. (IE: damage max scores in relation to cannons on board.)

Perhaps you mean one ship type that would have forward shooting, shipyards already have enough work with the Limited Edition ships every month, they are getting huge profits ahead of all the other shopkeepers for such things. What size ship would it be? Small, medium, large? What are the specifications for these, everyone would want one. The ship would have a clear advantage over any current ship, this would not be fair for the tons of ships already on the ocean. Could they be used in blockades? Again, so many flags have huge fleets, that would become dormant because everyone would be buying the forward shooting ships.

The AI for the bots in every type of battle would need to be changed, so pillaging, flotilla's BK blockades and SMH (Atlantis and CI's.)

I could go into a lot more detail but I'll save everyone the ear ache.. (or uh whatever the online equivelent would be.)
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:10 am

Rubydeath wrote: Okay.. but now imagine, a ship battle. You can shoot from 3 out of the 4 possible sides, that would change the battle so much. To manouvere the ship to be facing in the correct direction to shoot the enemy takes some skill and knowledge of AI ship movements. Cannons that can shoot from the front too, would just make it way too easy to hit the enemy and for them to hit you.

Let's look at the wider aspects, OOO's would have to change the AI of there ships, if you mean that EVERY ship should have forward shooting, then we'd need new graphics and designs for every ship, this would surely mess with paintwork jobs people have on them + the new figureheads. Ships currently have a set amount of cannons and people allowed to fill them to get max cannons loaded, do you propose adding more cannons or just making the forward shoot into the others? I see problems there too. (IE: damage max scores in relation to cannons on board.)

Perhaps you mean one ship type that would have forward shooting, shipyards already have enough work with the Limited Edition ships every month, they are getting huge profits ahead of all the other shopkeepers for such things. What size ship would it be? Small, medium, large? What are the specifications for these, everyone would want one. The ship would have a clear advantage over any current ship, this would not be fair for the tons of ships already on the ocean. Could they be used in blockades? Again, so many flags have huge fleets, that would become dormant because everyone would be buying the forward shooting ships.

The AI for the bots in every type of battle would need to be changed, so pillaging, flotilla's BK blockades and SMH (Atlantis and CI's.)

what i meant witht his idean, was make only 1 ship that can shoot to the front. not four/eight times, just shoot once in your four turns.
which size? medium.
size cbs? small/med.
where to use? everywhere, except in blockades.

u say othere crews alreay have way too many ships! well, why not set a max of vessels/players per crew? max 100 vessels per crew? max 300 (dormant) members per crew? who knows?
i can imagine thios problem in the real world. Mcdonalds and BurgerKing arre already so large, well, what the other gotta do now? maybe the president should set a max? who knows?

but i gotta run now. bye!

- zaidwanted

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 am

I think you need to learn to articulate yourself better Zaid, we spent the whole post discussing something that you hadn't explained properly, see now why OOO's might not reply to your ideas? It's all about getting people to understand.

Setting a maximum vessel and maximum crew numbers figure wouldn't help this. People would start there own crews more to bypass your restriction. So we'd end up with a lot more crews on the seas who had no clue what they were doing. Do you understand how many ships are needed to blockade? 100 max would not work. A max is a bad idea.

Your also misreading my point, I'm not saying we have too many ships and need to get rid of them or need a max for them.

I think I'm done with this thread for now, otherwise I see it going back and forth between us both not agreeing, good luck with any future "game design" pursuits.
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 am

lol... i think i'm done too.
about that articulating, i think the reason is that i still just became 14, and dont live in the USA, but in holland. but don't think i articulate a bit less becasue i want to or something! Wink

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 am

Zaidwanted wrote:lol... i think i'm done too.
about that articulating, i think the reason is that i still just became 14, and dont live in the USA, but in holland. but don't think i articulate a bit less becasue i want to or something! Wink

Understood Zaid, I live in Holland too (although I was born and raised in England) and my partner is a Dutch man, I know how frustrating it can feel when people don't understand you, trust me. As I said, was just trying to challenge your ideas and get you to think about them in more detail. All in the idea to help Smile Your English is good for 14, I'm impressed, keep playing with YPP as extra practice for that outside of school and I'm sure you'll one day make a very articulate young man.
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 am

kan je dan nederlands spreken? Razz

thank you, mate. since i got 14 4 days ago >XD
i heard glimmer of light was at the same day as my birthday (march, 26)! so i logged on, but no-one of my crew was online, so i just logged of 5 minutes later... Sad

but about my SF picture, maybe it works this time. let me try!

new ideas for the game? YPPswordfight1

i couldn't make the picture larger. zooming in would do the trick. look at the lower-right corner of the browser! Wink

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubydeath Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 am

kan je dan nederlands spreken? Razz

Ja, een beetje, maar het is moeilijk. Ik probeer mijn best. Misschien kun je me helpen. lol Smile

For anyone else reading this:
Zaid - Then can you speak Dutch?
Me - Yes, a little but it is hard. I'm trying my best. Maybe you can help me. lol
Rubydeath
Rubydeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaidwanted Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 am

ik kan je helpen. waar heb je hulp mee nodig? maar nederlands kan nogal een moeilijke taal zijn, omdat de grammatica to ingewikkeld is.

i can help you. where you need help with? but dutch can be quite a difficult languaage, because the grammar is kinda complex.

Zaidwanted

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down