Knights of Saint George
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Ascalon???
WHO KNEW EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm by Korte2

» 8th anniversary
WHO KNEW EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 2:41 pm by Crimsonator

» Crew portrait
WHO KNEW EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 am by Korte2

» Fame record
WHO KNEW EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 am by Pishkirlin

» Almost famous.
WHO KNEW EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 pm by Pishkirlin

» Pish is back (for a while)
WHO KNEW EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm by Crimsonator

Crew page
Link to the crew page on Yoweb.

WHO KNEW

2 posters

Go down

WHO KNEW Empty WHO KNEW

Post  mmiimmii Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:46 am

True story......apparantly:

Manure ... An interesting fact

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it,
it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas . As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern,

BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term.
Razz
mmiimmii
mmiimmii

Crew: : Knights of Saint George

Back to top Go down

WHO KNEW Empty Re: WHO KNEW

Post  Piratus Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25 am

According to Wikipedia:

False etymology

A popular belief is that the word shit originated as an acronym for "Ship High In Transit", referring to the apparent need to stow manure well above the water line when transporting it by ship. This has been shown to be a myth.

Interesting story though. Didn't knew about that.
Piratus
Piratus

Crew: : Glimmer of Light

Back to top Go down

WHO KNEW Empty who knew

Post  mmiimmii Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Actually it's a joke a friend sent me and i thought what a giggle....could it be true..... Razz
mmiimmii
mmiimmii

Crew: : Knights of Saint George

Back to top Go down

WHO KNEW Empty Re: WHO KNEW

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum